Monday 17 September 2012

Eating Out

 “A long time since I see you in my restaurant, but still I remember what you order with your wife! You will have a banana flower salad, seafood nem, crispy squid and prawns steamed in beer, yes?”

Inwardly I groaned. We had been here about half a dozen times and that was over three years ago... a lifetime ago. “Uhh, that’s what I used to order with my ex-girlfriend - I’d like to introduce you to my wife, we’d like to see a menu please.”

Picture from here
I know this is meant to be Five Sentence Fiction, but this is unfortunately based on a true event. I saw the funny side of it, but Tho wasn’t overly impressed. For a city of six million, Hanoi is a small town. The prompt for this week is awkward.


6 comments:

  1. I've been to restaurants like this. Thanks for bringing back the memories!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That made me hungry! The story is very neatly crafted. Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Denis--you've made me hungry! What an awkward moment, though...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, I am glad you all liked the story

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh no! A tough situation, but it really did make me laugh. Yikes :)

    ReplyDelete